Flood advice from MPW Insurance Brokers
18th February 2020
According to the Environment Agency many parts of the UK should ‘prepare for flooding’.
According to the Environment Agency many parts of the UK should ‘prepare for flooding’. MPW Insurance Brokers offer the following advcie to protect businesses and homeowners against the threat and damage which flooding can cause
Here is our flood advice
* Turn off your electricity, gas and water supplies at the mains.
* Disconnect appliances connected to pipes in case of movement during flooding.
* Place valuables and important documents (like birth certificates and insurance policies) in secure plastic bags, high up out of harm’s way.
* Where possible move furniture upstairs or raise on bricks. If a piece of furniture is too large to carry weigh it down so it doesn’t float around and cause damage.
* Fix flood boards to frames around windows and doors.
* Move your car to higher ground.
* Move family and pets to a safe place.
* Pack a flood kit of essentials containing copies of your home insurance, a torch and batteries, medicines, bottled water, non-perishable food items, a mobile phone and a battery-operated radio
* WAIT for the emergency services. Follow their instructions. If an evacuation order is issued you MUST comply.
* Call Floodline on 0845 988 1188 for the latest information and stay tuned to local radio.
Contact your insurer or insurance broker and if you have your policy documentation to hand, look for an emergency/claims contact number, our website will provide emergency telephone numbers for a number of insurers, please visit: www.mpwbrokers.com.