Motor Claims

Motor Claims

Motor claims should be reported by phoning your insurance company using the number on your policy document.

Most insurance companies run dedicated motor claim help lines and will take details of the accident over the telephone and arrange repairs using one of their approved garages. This is the most effective way to get your vehicle back on the road quickly.

If you deal directly with your insurance company they will notify us once your claim is reported and provide us with settlement details so that we can maintain your claims record. We can assist you if you are experiencing any difficulties or delays.

If you would like us to notify your claim to the insurers on your behalf, please complete a claim form and return it to us. Upon receipt of your completed claim form, we will notify insurers and ask that they contact you directly to arrange an inspection and/or repair of your vehicle.

Types of Cover

Comprehensive – Comprehensive insurance covers accidental damage caused to your vehicle and damage or injury you cause another vehicle or its driver or a pedestrian in an accident. Loss of or damage to your vehicle through fire or theft is also covered.

Third Party, Fire & Theft – Third party, fire & theft insurance covers damage or injury you cause to another vehicle and/or its driver or a pedestrian. Loss of or damage to your vehicle through fire or theft is also covered, but no cover applies in respect of your own vehicle if it is otherwise damaged in an accident.

Third Party Only – Third party insurance is the minimum legal requirement. It covers damage or injury you cause to another vehicle and/or its driver or a pedestrian but offers no cover in respect of damage to or loss of your vehicle.

What to do in the event of an accident

If you are unfortunate enough to have a motor accident, you should take the following steps:

  • Take the name and address of any other driver and the registration number of any other vehicle involved in the incident. If you can also obtain the other drivers policy number from their Certificate of Motor Insurance and the name and address of their insurers this will speed up your claim;
  • Take the names and addresses of any witnesses together with those of any other third parties involved in the incident;
  • Give your own name address and insurance details to the other parties involved in the accident but do not admit liability;
  • Do not give money to any person involved in the incident. This could be viewed as an admission of liability;
  • Make a note of the position of your vehicle in the road and the positions of other vehicles both prior to and after the incident
  • Make a note of the time, date and location of the incident;

Take photographs of the damage at the site of the accident if possible;

Report the claim to the Insurers as soon as possible.

Most insurance companies operate 24 hour helpline numbers for you to report claims directly to them. They are usually able to take all details over the telephone and appoint an approved garage to repair your vehicle. Utilising the helpline services should speed up your claim but if you have any difficulties please contact us.

Reporting the Incident

It is a condition of any insurance policy to notify your insurers promptly of any incident, regardless of fault, damage or injury.

Motor claims should be reported by phoning your insurance company using the number on your policy document. If you are having trouble finding your policy document, most helpline numbers can be found on our website.

What happens next?

Insurers will either:

  • Arrange for an inspection of your vehicle;
  • Arrange for a repair quotation;
  • Or ask you to obtain a repair quotation.

Once the inspection report and/or repair quotes are provided, insurers will decide whether your vehicle is economically repairable.

If your vehicle is deemed a total loss, insurers will advise the pre-accident value and will seek to settle the claim relatively quickly. The pre-accident value will take into account mileage, modifications and age of the vehicle as well as any other factors that would affect the second hand value. Your policy excess will be deducted from the amount agreed. You will then be required to submit all relevant documentation, keys and log book to the insurers before settlement can be completed as, effectively, insurers have purchased the vehicle from you.

Getting Your Car Repaired

It is important not to get any work completed until you have received approval from Insurers. If you are using one your insurer’s approved repairers, the garage will receive written confirmation from insurers confirming that the repair quote is acceptable and that they may contact you to book your vehicle in for repairs. Insurers will settle directly with the garage concerned (net of your policy excess).

If you are using your own garage, insurers will provide confirmation that you may proceed with repairs. Once completed, you can then forward the invoice to insurers for payment (net of your policy excess).

Courtesy/Hire Vehicles

Fortunately, most accidents are relatively minor and your car can generally be used safely until it is repaired at a time convenient to you.

Under certain fully comprehensive insurance policies, cover will include a modest courtesy vehicle if one is available at the garage.

It is rare for a policy to fully commit to providing a courtesy vehicle in the event of an accident. This largely depends on the availability at the garage concerned. If the approved garage is unable to provide you with a courtesy vehicle, you should refer to your insurers in the first instance and make them aware of the need to nominate a garage where a courtesy vehicle is available.

Policy Excess

Your excess is a condition of the policy and is always payable regardless of fault or the level of damage sustained. Remember, the standard policy excess may be increased if the vehicle is being driven by a young or inexperienced driver.

Useful Contact Details

Back to top

Note: If you download a form, please fill it in and send it to